Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Food and Saving Money

When it comes to money, you don't spend what you don't have, right? So, on my last trip I put this into practice with some flexibility. I allowed myself a smaller amount of funds to eat which meant I had to buy food at the market, prepare food at the hostel kitchen and such. In the past I've eaten two meals out, breakfast always part of the hostel package. I discovered I could live on about $25.00 a day which includes room, food, some beer perhaps. For those of you who have visited the country's capital would understand that Mexico City is a little more expensive than other locations in Mexico. For example, Oaxaca was considerably cheaper.

I wanted to post something about my gastronomical experiences in Mexico City and a little bit about Oaxaca food and prices. Since I have so much to say, and tasted so many varieties of food on my recent trips, I'll go ahead and do the posts piecemeal.

One of my favorites only two blocks from where I stay in Coyoacan serves a comida corrida, a "plate of the day" with entrada (entree) at $90.00 pesos which is about $7.23 American. For that you get what you see below plus a pitcher of Limeade and a dessert.

Fish fillet toped with platanos fritos (fried plantain bananas), salad and enchilada at Meson de Los Leones.

Want to save money? Eat where the locals eat. At the Coyoacan market for $49.00 pesos / $3.94 American, I ordered delicious meals that I couldn't even finish because of the large portions. For instance, look at the large quantity on the the plate on the left, an order of Milanesa, breaded steak. This came with fries and guacamole. It reminds me of chicken fried steak. If you eat at one of these places, be prepared for tight seating and some elbow rubbing. It's fun!


Coyoacan market.


And Oaxaca has its own kind of food entirely. Not unique to just Oaxaca but very popular here are the grasshoppers.


Chapulines (grasshoppers) at the Oaxaca market.

¡Buen provecho!







No comments:

Post a Comment